'Good luck': Marcos taunts Duterte after declaring bid to run as Philippine president

emirates7 -
-Other groups say Duterte's bid is intended to derail impeachment complaints against her and deflect calls for justice and accountability ahead of her father's trial at the International Criminal Court

“Good luck, that’s all we can say,” was the terse but sarcastic remark by Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s spokesperson, Claire Castro, hours after Vice President Sara Duterte announced on Wednesday her presidential bid in the next national elections in 2028.

In a brief statement that lasted no more than two minutes, Duterte began by apologising for helping Marcos Jr. elected to office in 2022. Castro, however, said Duterte must not take all the credit for Marcos’ election as president, reminding the vice president it was the people who did it.

“Whatever help she gave, she must remember that they helped each other because they were under the UniTeam,” Castro said, noted Marcos Jr. was able to watch Duterte’s announcement, including the part where she expressed regret over running with him in the 2022.

“The president gave no further comment,” Castro added.

Running away from accountability

Reactions from other political forces were not as brief. Activist group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) said Duterte’s announcement of her intent to run for president is “a desperate, shameless, and opportunist act.”

It is intended to deflect attention, derail the impeachment complaint against her, and distort the people’s clamour for justice and accountability ahead of the confirmation hearing of former President Rodrigo Duterte at the International Criminal Court, BAYAN said.

Political parties under the Makabayan Coalition also said Duterte’s unexpected move is “a cynical and desperate attempt," explaining Duterte "wishes to control the narrative, portray herself as a victim of political persecution, and shield herself from accountability for serious allegations of corruption, misuse of confidential funds, and betrayal of public trust.

“Accountability first. Justice first. The truth first. Then, and only then, can we talk about 2028," Makabayan said.

Protesters calling for the impeachment of both Marcos and Duterter in this photo taken on February 4 outside the House of Representatives in Quezon City, Metro Manila
Protesters calling for the impeachment of both Marcos and Duterter in this photo taken on February 4 outside the House of Representatives in Quezon City, Metro Manila. Photo: AFP file

What Duterte’s timing says

Three impeachment complaints are set to be referred by the House of Representatives (HOR) to its Committee on Justice as Duterte made her announcement on Wednesday.

The development marks the formal start of another round of impeachment proceedings to remove her from office.

Duterte is accused of corruption for spending hundreds of millions of public funds without proper disbursement and reporting, the complaints said. Duterte was actually impeached by the HOR in early 202, but avoided a full trial by the Philippine Senate due to technicalities.

Flag-bearer of the dynasty

With former president Rodrigo Duterte imprisoned by the International Criminal Court in The Hague, The Netherlands, Sara is the highest-ranking government official in the family. She is seen as the new flag bearer of the political dynasty that also includes two incumbent congressmen, a city mayor and several city councilors.

A former ally of Marcos herself, she has since turned bitter enemy who had been on record to have threatened the president, the First Lady and the then Speaker of the HOR with assassination should something bad befall her.

Before becoming vice president, Sara had been Davao City vice mayor, mayor and representative through decades, often swapping positions with her father and brothers.

Wild reactions

Duterte’s announcement is receiving wild reactions on social media, with many migrant Filipinos approving of her candidacy.

Filipinos who are more loyal to Marcos, however, said she is delusional to even think she is not out of power and in prison within the year.

Stage actor and political humorist Mae Paner however said all independent political groups in the Philippines must unite to prevent another Duterte and another Marcos in Malacañang Palace after the 2028 elections. “This is the time to think of a better future for all,” Paner said.